Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

I visited my Dad %26amp; was appalled to see his neighbour's cat who has many clumps of matted fur on her back. She's a black medium length coat cat appx 18 yrs old. Neighbour claims she's taken the cat to the vet but that the vet said it was mange and the cat needs her fur clipped but is too old to undergo the anaesthetic that would be needed to do this. I have severe doubts that the cat ever saw a vet %26amp; something about this doesn't ring true - from what I've seen on the web, mange usually causes itching and hairloss, neither of which this cat has. To me she just looks like she needs a good grooming and her hair clipped professionally.



The cat in general is poorly treated in my opinion. She's never allowed into the house except to eat and is left outside in all weathers. I had concerns about this cat previously but on seeing her tonight I am seriously considering making a formal report to the SSPCA. Any experts out there that can advise as to whether this does sound like mange?



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

Mange is normally a balding of the fur and very sore skin. Sounds to me like she needs a good brush and maybe a clipping, but if the owners are not going to maintain her coat it would probably be a waste of time.



Report the owners I would.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

it sounds like the owner refuses to brush the cat. she should just shave it all off to get rid off it. its just hair sticking together. its nothing THAT serious. if she doesnt take care of it soon though, its hair will be awful.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

Cats aren't groomed (unless they are being showed). Healthy cats groom themselves. I've never heard of anyone clipping a cat. It sounds like this cat is ill and either isn't grooming itself or has an injury that has matted the fur.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

I don't think it sounds like mange, most likely the cat is too old to groom itself. My friend's cat had this problem, and it was because she was 16 or 17 years old, so she couldn't groom herself anymore.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

there are 2 kinds of mange, contagious, and not contagious. with the "bad kind" there are usually sores too. sounds like the cat is too old to groom himself, and he may not let the owners groom him. some really nice cats are no so nice when you start to mess with them.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

It's probably not mange. It sounds like the poor cat has the misfortune to belong to a family of skanks who likely don't take care of their hygine and grooming needs much better than they do their cat's If the cat is covered with clumps it hasn't gotten that way overnight, you're looking at long term neglect.



It probably needs clipped down and allowed to grow the coat over. Stuff like this burns me. Folks who aren't going to take care of animals shouldn't get them--there's no law says you have to have them.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

Mange is hair loss...not matting. As a cat gets older they do not groom themselves as frequently, if at all. It is very difficult to keep an old, long haired cat free of mats. If this cat is that old it should not be roaming outside. Also, when a cat is sick with a chronic illness it will cease grooming. I am not positive you should call the authorities. Maybe a gentle talk with the neighbors could do the trick. Old cats have difficulty with anesthesia. I think I would prefer to allow the cat to keep it's mats, rather then run the risk of anesthesia...regardless of the gossip from the neighbors. However, If I knew of cat, not allowed in doors and I felt it was treated cruely...I would simply kidnap the cat and find it a nurturing home. Sounds like the neighbor would not notice this cat missing until about...hmmmm July.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

The cat doesn't need anaesthetic to get the clumps ans mattings out. My friends cat have big matting and clumps because she didn't groom her properly, when taken to the vet, they got them all out without any problems. I'm sure the poor cat is feeling those clumps and they may be itchy too. They bother the cat and should get them out. A vet can shave some parts out that very big, I don't know what mange is but I do know matting caused by just plain neglect and I think you can report it maybe some one might care about that poor old kitty, I feel so sad for her, do what you think is right, it wouldn't do any harm.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

This doesn't sound like mange at all, mange makes hair fall out, not get matted.



BUT, be careful contacting SSPCA, as they often put older animals to sleep if they have to take them away from the neglectful owner.



You may want to check out your local no-kill shelter for advice. It does sound like a poor life for a kitty :(



You might want to catnap him and have him seen by a vet, then return him to his garden. But It's up to you if you care for the cat's wellbeing to that point.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

Can you take this cat in until you can bring it to a good no kill shelter?



Do it! NOW!



Screw the owners feelings! She/he needs to put outside and neglected!



Take that cat!



Don't call "Animal Control" these city/town pounds WILL euthanise a cat as old as this one is and it is in bad shape that ='s euthanasia...



I don't care if ppl don't agree with me, take the cat in, keep it if you can or find it a good home that will care for her till she goes to kitty heaven..



Where do you live? If it is in Ct. I'll get the kitty.



You can come to my home and call everyone I know, do a police check, etc. I am not a animal abuser, I will cherish that fragile life..Or find someone who will do it.



I am mad about this situation. I can get so heated over these situations..



I rescue strays/cats in bad positions. I have had to go into houses where cats were being neglected and hurt. Poor kitty's!



A lot of them had to be euthanised they were so messed up in every way possible. Of course charges are pressed on the "owners" for intentional abuse/neglect but they don't get harsh penalties..



I am trying to get my city to compile a list that every vet/animal agency/Police Dept/pet store will have that has the names, DOB, last known address/phone number, physical description, etc.. To show them as animal abusers/illegal breeders/dog fighters/hoarders and to not allow them to adopt/buy pets..



Help that kitty please, She deserves better...



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

the lumps are from not being groomed. the lumps need cut out of the hair so new hair can grow back. afterwards, a good brushing would be in order.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

if what you are saying is true about been kept out in all weathers, then just with that i would report them. Are the neighbours elderly, they may need help. If not report this asap.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

It doesn't sound like mange, it sounds like a grooming problem. The cat really needs to be shaved as the mats will only get worse and they pull on the skin causing pain. Mats on the rear can block bowel movements as well so try to convince the owners to do something.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

We also live close to a person with two cats who do not look after them, but luckily Myself and Neighbour are cat lovers and keep an eye on them and feed them when we can.



However in your situation, if the cat is in any distress, or looks like it is very ill, then I would sugest you make enquiries to your animal group and possibly ask them to have a look. If they are anything like the RSPCA they will pop around and have a quick check, talk to the owner and issue a warning if they have concerns just saying to buck up their ideas and that they will be back to check in a few weeks to ensure the cat is better and not being mistreated. Often if it is a problem with funds or fees, animal groups can assist.



Hope it helps.



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

It sounds like sheer neglect, not mange. The poor thing has obviously not been combed at all. Ring the R.S.P.C.A. They are pretty good, and will possibly trim the cat, and advise the owner to sign it over to their care-the person can't really want the cat, as it isn't cared for properly



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

It's not mange, Judging by the cats age she may not be drying herself after washing causing the fur to knot up, it may have a bad tooth, or she could have got very wet and just matted if it's as bad as you say she might need electric clippers poor thing



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

This is such a shame. Lousy owners. It does not sound like mange - which is rare in cats by the way. Mange causes hair loss, and itching depending on which kind of mange mite is the cause.



It sounds far more like the cat's fur is matted because it has become too old to groom itself properly. Clearly the owners don't care much for the cat - I don't believe they ever took it to the vet either. I also doubt a vet would just say 'too old for an anaesthetic' - there are plenty of sedation drugs that are safe to use on older cats. Also age in itself does not necessarily make sedation/anaesthetic riskier - it's just that the cat it more likely to have a weaker heart or other illnesses that increase risk.



I would definitely call the SSPCA. If I saw a cat in this condition I wouldn't care what the owners thought since they clearly don't think much for the cat in the first place.



Chalice



My Dad's neighbour's cat has huge clumps in it's fur is this likely to be mange?

poor cat has a really bad owner sounds like it is not being taken care of and thats sad I would report it..

1 comment:

  1. You have to be careful with your comments with-out knowing the whole situation. 6 monthe ago I adopted a 14 yr old cat from a shelter. she has matted clumps on her back which she cannot reach. unfortuately she must have been abused in her previous home because when I try to groom her she runs if I keep ahold of her and dont let her go she bites me. Also she bites if I try to get her into a carrier to take her to the vets. She also will not let me clip her nails which are really bothering her. She is a sweet cat and really cares for me but has a strong instinct to protect herself if she feels threatened. Obviously i am stumped.

    ReplyDelete